Did you know that drinking on an empty stomach can cause low blood sugar?
This can have adverse effects if you are diabetic and taking oral diabetic medication or insulin, or even if you were about to exercise. Research has shown that one to two drinks a day will not cause issues if you can adhere to the following conditions:
- Have adequate control of your diabetes.
- Stay free of any complications.
- Drink any alcohol close to or around meals.
What effect does alcohol have on your blood sugar?
When alcohol, which is technically a toxin, is in the human body, the liver takes priority in eliminating the substance. As a result, while the liver is working on the alcohol, the blood glucose could potentially drop to serious levels. Now, the liver has the job of distributing sugar into the blood, however alcohol can disrupt this process.
Did you know that the liver has its own supply of sugar called glycogen?
So how do you prevent low blood sugar?
- Eat food with alcohol.
- Monitor your blood sugar before, during, and after drinking alcohol.
- Try to follow the guidelines of no more than one drink per day for women, and two drinks per day for men.
Were you aware the low blood sugar after you drink can give false indications of being drunk?
Tip: Wear a medical bracelet that identifies you as being diabetic!
What are the side effects of alcohol and low blood sugar?
It can worsen nerve damage
- Eye diseases
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- High blood fats (hyperlipidemia)
Tip: Work with a dietitian to learn how to incorporate alcohol into your favorite meals.
How to reduce your alcoholic calories?
Alcoholic drinks can have between 60 and 300 calories per drink (Obviously, depending on what you are drinking.) Here are some steps you can take to reduce them:
- Reduce the number of drinks you consume.
- Use 80 proof instead of 100 proof in your mixed drinks.
- Add less liquor to your drinks.
- Use diet soda, club soda, or water as drink mixers.
- Try light beer instead of lagers, heavy beers, and stouts.
- Choose dry wine over sweet, fruity, or wine coolers.
- Try a wine spritzer with club soda.