Adult acne affects a very large percentage of grown-ups as we age.
Latest data shows that approximately 25% of adult men and more than 50% of adult women experience adult acne at some point in their lives. So chances are we all have a pretty good chance of dealing with this problem.
There is no known cause so an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of medicine. Skin specialists have narrowed it down somewhat but we know that some possible causes include hormones, cosmetics, stress, and an increase of resistant bacteria. Females have a greater tendency of developing this problem because of premenstrual issues which manifest the acne facial problems around the mouth and chin area
Lower progesterone production or an increase in testosterone could turn out to be the root cause of adult acne in women. However, the verdict is still out on this theory.
Teens can also be challenged with hormone-related acne and acne vulgaris or cystic acne.
The following combination of home acne remedies and acne treatment tips are very helpful in both cases.
Additional areas of the body that have show positive effects of some of the following tips include but are not limited to:
- Acne on back
- Acne scarring
- Mild Acne
- Genital acne
- Acne on chest
If you do not feel or see results, have your hormones and thyroid tested by your physician.
Here are 12 proven methods to help prevent and get rid of adult acne:
1. Lack of zinc or Vitamin A may cause adult acne. Consider taking zinc supplements or consuming zinc-rich foods such as eggs, liver, seafood, turkey, pork, mushrooms, milk and soybeans. Vitamin A rich foods can help reduce sebum or oils. You’ll find Vitamin A in fruits, vegetables, eggs and milk.
2. Dandelion root tea can help purify the blood, to prevent akne breakouts. Find tea bags or supplements at a health food store.
3. The supplement, milk thistle, is another great choice as it helps detoxify the liver. A combination of milk thistle, dandelion root and tumeric is available at Trader Joe’s, located throughout California or see other brands at a health food store.
4. Consuming soy-rich foods such as tofu, soybeans, soy cheese, soy nuts, soy yogurt, shakes and soy milk can be of help. Soy moisturizers help brighten skin and can help fade pigmentation spots left by acne scars.
5. The following mask, applied twice weekly can be very helpful. Combine 2 tbsp. soy or plain yogurt with 1 tsp. FRESH lemon juice and apply onto clean skin. Let dry approximately 20 minutes, then rinse face with tepid water. This mask helps fade blemish scars, reduces enlarged pores and gives the skin a min-face-lift effect.
6. Flax seeds contain phytoestrogens that can help balance hormones reducing hot flashes, night sweats, and moodiness. Find flax seed oil supplements (capsules) or ground flaxseeds at a local health food store. Add ground flax seed to soups, tuna salad, protein shakes, cereal or oatmeal.
7. Sun Chlorella can help improve adult acne, helps diminish lines, wrinkles, age spots, helps smooth skin and tightens pores. It also helps detoxify the body and is recommended for its skin rejuvenating properties. Find it added to many “green powders” at your local health food store.
8. Instead of applying powder onto oily areas ( which traps debris on the skin), use rice blotting papers, a piece of a toilet seat cover, or hair curler papers to blot oil.
9. Are you feeling blue? Taking daily omega 3 essential fatty acids (EFA’s) sas fish, flax or chia seeds, or borage oil naturally balance hormones and help uplift mood. In addition, EFA’s help support vascular health, joint care, can help slow aging, hydrate skin and hair, and ignite fat burning. More essential fatty acids include sardines, mackerel & anchovies, and emu oil.
10. Mineral Powder foundation can be used as an effective natural concealer, sun protection barrier and blemish-preventer – all in one. It’s perfect for those who have blemish-prone skin. Mineral make-up powder is anti-microbial so it prevents and reduces adult or teenager with acne.
Try my Pumpkin Enzyme Mask for controlling acne, it works great and is not expensive!
Other acne related articles you might enjoy reading:
Beauty Tips and Tricks That Really Work: Copyright 2007,2011 Louisa Maccan Graves
Acne pictures:[nggallery id=1]