What causes cellulite?
Collagen fibers under the skin and around fat cells that become trapped with fluids and toxins cause cellulite. As we age collagen weakens, fat and toxins herniated through the damaged collagen and dimpled skin occurs.
Tip: Exfoliating skin regularly can help stimulate collagen and help drain the lymphatic system.
If you have cellulites, or want to prevent them, consider the following:
Cellulite home remedies
The following cellulite home remedies attack cellulite on thighs.
You’ve heard this a million times, but you must drink 8 to 10 glasses of water per day. Celulite and water retention are signs that you are not drinking enough water. You will not lose body fat, toxins, or also lose cellulite on arms unless you drink sufficient water daily.
1. Drink at least 64 ounces a day to help eliminate water retention and body fat. Water retention causes bloating, constipation, irritability and exacerbates cellulite. If you don’t like water, then add some fresh lemon juice for a more refreshing taste. Or, try chamomile, cat’s claw, or green tea to increase circulation as well as help reduce inflammation and bloating.
3. The elastic in regular underpants cuts off lymphatic circulation and congests fluid, fat, and toxins which are primary causes of cellulite. To prevent lymphatic congestion and cellulite, try switching to wearing thong underwear or no underwear at all.
4. Mix two cups of sea salt with one-half cup almond oil or olive oil. After showering, stand in the shower and apply salt scrub to wet thighs and buttocks. Rub in a circular motion using your hand or nylon exfoliating body glove. Rinse with tepid water.
5. While standing on newspaper, apply warm caffeinated coffee grinds onto thighs, tummy, and buttocks. Most of the grinds will fall to the ground leaving a caffeine rich, moist, brown residue. Caffeine is the active ingredient that reduces the appearance of cellulite.
- Wrap moistened areas with cellophane.
- After 30 minutes, remove cellophane and brush any excess grinds onto the newspaper.
- Shower off thighs and buttocks while scrubbing the areas using a face cloth, baking soda, or loofa.
- This remedy is a little messy but it’s a quick fix to help temporarily diminish cellulite.
6. Bentonite clay draws out impurities and tightens skin.
- In a glass bowl, combine equal parts of water or apple cider vinegar with bentonite clay.
- Stir to a paste consistency and apply to cellulite prone areas.
- Let dry. You will feel a tightening or pulling sensation.
- Wash clay off in shower with tepid water.
Cellulite treatment at home by exfoliating the skin
1. Daily dry brushing can help exfoliate the skin, boost circulation of the blood, drain the lymphatic system, and release toxins. Dry brush the cellulite prone areas using a natural bristle brush before showering.
2. Dry brush your skin toward the heart in a C-shaped motion. Locate cellulite prone areas in front of the mirror and then dry brush those areas for 30 seconds.
3. Start at the wrists and work to the shoulders.
4. Then move to the ankles and brush up the legs, buttocks, and tummy.
5. When done correctly, your skin should be slightly pink. Do not brush areas with cuts, rashes, or sunburn.
6. Shower with tepid water.
Using a Cellulite Massage to help get rid of cellulite
1. Two or more times a week, massage cellulite prone areas using an electric massager or even a rolling pin. Try chopping strokes (hands in a karate like position) moving up and down the areas of the thighs and buttocks. Kneading the skin is also beneficial.
2. Viora is a very effective non surgical treatment that uses radio frequency to help smooth the look of cellulite. You will require about 6 – 10 sessions. In Los Angeles, the cost is around $100 – $300 per session though you may find extra savings at Groupon in your area.
For more stubborn cases of cellulite, or if you would like to achieve a smoother looking thigh, consider an “ultrasonic” treatment in conjunction with vacuum massage. This combination is one of the most effective non-invasive methods of reducing and smoothing dimpled looking skin.
NOTE: Ultrasonic treatment for cellulite is a type of ultrasound. However, it differs from that used in ultrasound imaging or physiotherapy. Ultrasonic treatment provides warm heat waves which penetrate into the subcutaneous fat layer of the skin below the epidermis and dermis.
It helps smooth out the skin by softening or breaking up the fatty deposits and promotes lymphatic drainage and also releases hardened connective tissues.
Vitamin Supplements for Treatment of Cellulite
Calcium or magnesium supplements, Vitamin E, and Evening Primrose Oil can aid in weight loss and also help ease bloating and water retention. Always check with your physician before taking supplements.
Also take the slimming tonic noted in my book, AGE-PROOF: Beauty Alternative You Need to Know. It offers myriad benefits. My famous slimming tonic helps eliminate cellulite, fat, bloating, blood sugar spikes and much more. Check with your doctor before use if you have health concerns or are taking blood thinning medications.
Cellulite Creams That Work
- Applying a cream that contains AHA / glycolic acid or salicylic acid can help smooth and firm skin by stimulating collagen and elastin production. Try Evenly Radiant Overnight Peel (AKA Overnight Peel) or Relastyl – a powerful peptide cream with evening primrose oil to help address sagging skin on the body.
2. A self tanner can help camouflage cellulite. Some of the most famous lingerie models use self tanners for this reason. Yes, even models have to battle and conceal cellulite.