by Louisa Graves
I’m a big believer in simple, clean makeup because I think it makes you look younger and fresher. Too often we get stuck doing something that looked good 20 years ago, not taking into account any new “friends” we may have picked up through the years, like dark circles and fine lines around the eyes. Makeup for mature skin doesn’t need to be boring. You can still use highlighter, eyeliner, and bronzer to enhance your features and give you a youthful glow!
The photo on the right shows my beautiful friend Mitzie and I, taken in December 2019. Mitzie (on the left) looks amazing even without a spec of makeup! In fact, her dermatologist asked what she uses on her skin. Of course, she uses the products from HollywoodBeautySecrets.com, 🙂 In this photo, taken in December 2019, I am wearing simple, clean makeup.
Changing up your makeup routine is a good thing! You may discover a technique or formula that works better for you that you may not have thought of trying before. Unfortunately, subtle changes in our skin’s texture and firmness can make what used to look good look less than perfect and can age you! It’s a realistic and inevitable fact of life. By using a makeup routine for mature skin, you can actually lift off years and make yourself look younger, not to mention the time you will save by not having to use so many products!
Here’s what I do. It is simple but you’ll feel and look amazing!
1. In the morning after cleansing and toning skin, apply an EGF, peptide or antioxidant-rich moisturizer on face, under eyes, on crow’s feet and neck. Try Ultimate Age-Proofing Complex with premium quality, age-defying EGF, peptides and antioxidants. For those with sensitive, hormonal, mature, or dry skin that needs more volume and hydration, try De-Aging Solution with EGF, antioxidants and super hydrators. TIP: Moisturized, prepped skin helps makeup go on smoother. Wait one minute for moisturizer to settle before applying sunscreen.
Both moisturizers mentioned above are healthy, professional strength, made with premium ingredients, affordable, free of fragrance, parabens, mineral oil, synthetic color and will not cause hormonal imbalances. Get BIG results with a small pricetag.
2. Next, apply our popular UVA/UVB sunscreen SunTegrity SPF 30 Natural Moisturizing Face Sunscreen and Primer and it contains anti-aging antioxidants! This is why I love it! It’s healthy, nano-particle-free and free of parabens or harsh ingredients. Apply it very sparingly. Just place a tiny dot on the forehead, each cheek, nose and chin. Apply on neck as well. TIP: Allow sunscreen to settle on skin for a moment or two, before applying makeup. NOTE: This sunscreen and primer was noted in EWG’s 2019 Top Ten sunscreens and Best Moisturizer with SPF 30 in 2018. It also received a #1 Rating in the Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database.
3. For those with deep lines, wrinkles or deep acne scars and imperfections, makeup primer can provide a smoother complexion. Good news – our SunTegrity sunscreen is not only 30 SPF, it’s a makeup primer as well! Makeup primer makes skin look smoother and more youthful and increases the staying power of makeup.
4. Apply illuminating concealer on inner corner of the eyes by the nose and extend only to the center under each eye. Don’t extend concealer to the end of the eyes. This prevents emphasis on crow’s feet.
5. Apply a teeny amount of illuminating liquid foundation just above the cheek bones and blend with a foundation brush. This gives the skin a more lifted and fresh look. Also apply a little illuminating down the center of the nose.
6. For a more defined chin or to camouflage a double chin, apply a little bronzer along the jaw line. Be sure to blend it well under the jawline and down toward the neck using a kabuki brush.
7. For brighter-looking eyes, you’ll need a baby pink eye shadow pencil. This is an effective eye-opening tip. Draw a line of baby pink eye shadow under the eyebrow, and blend it in using your finger tip. This brightens and ‘opens’ up the eyes.
8. If you like to wear eyeliner, apply it onto the upper eyelid only. This will open and lift the eye. TIP: Avoid applying liner below eyes as this causes them to look smaller.
9. To give the whites of the eyes a brighter look, line the inside bottom of each eye with a white eye shadow pencil. I learned this tip from a Hollywood makeup artist when I was a guest on a TV show. For a more dramatic evening look, line the inside of the eyes with a black eye shadow pencil. Sharpen the pencil to ensure it’s clean.
10. Curl lashes using an eyelash curler. Apply one coat of mascara to top lashes only. For longer-looking lashes apply a second coat on the outer third lashes only. I love my eyelash curler! It lifts your eyes and makes them look bigger!
11. Apply a healthy, skin hydrating lip balm such as our Emu Oil Lip Balm. Or if you like glossy lips, try our double action Lip Renew & Plump Gloss, loaded with healthy, age-defying ingredients. Glossy, unlined lips appear more plump than when lined. And gloss looks more natural and youthful than lipstick. If you like lipstick, use stick to nude or light berry shades. TIP: Avoid orange lipstick because it makes teeth appear yellow.
12. I like a bit of blush. If you use powder blush, apply a light bit of finishing powder on the cheeks only. Apply blush to apples of cheeks only. I recommend skipping finishing powder on the entire face if aged over 40 because it settles into fine lines which can appear more aging. Instead, blot face throughout the day using rice blotting papers, hair curler tissue papers or a piece of toilet seat cover.
There they are! 12 steps seem like a lot but they’re really very simple and straightforward and they work for any age, really! As I’ve shown you, you can still use a lot of your favorite products, just with a lighter hand.
Remember: you are a beautiful and desirable woman, inside and out! That will never change!
For professional-strength skincare at affordable, everyday prices, check out my shop at hollywoodbeautysecrets.com!