What causes chapped lips?
Lips can easily become dehydrated due to exposure to sun, wind, cold, and heat. As lips do not have sebaceous oil glands that produce sebum like other parts of the body, they are vulnerable to dryness and becoming cracked, chapped, or red.
Do you have chronic chapped lips or cheilitis?
Should your condition involve chronic chapped lips or an inflammation of the lips you may have a condition called Cheilitis. Severe chapped lips causes have been isolated to a medical condition of the lips involving a deficiency of Vitamin B12 or an iron deficiency. You should see your physician immediately.
NOTE: Using lip products that contain mineral oil must be avoided. Mineral oil eventually dries the lips causing a need to apply more and more and more. But the more you apply this petrochemical, the more you must apply it. Thus exacerbating chapped lips. TO remedy chapped lips, apply a 100% natural oil lip hydrating balm such as Emu Oil Lip Balm with NO mineral oil or petrochemicals. Emu oil lip balm is made with 100% pure oils including emu, coconut, beeswax, avocado, shea butter and other natural extracts. It’s a top seller at www.HollywoodBeautySecrets.com
Chapped lips treatment:
Below are some of the effective remedies for chapped lips that can help smooth the lips.
1. Exfoliate (peeling lips) and moisturize dry lips to keep them nourished and line free. Twice a week dab milk saturated cotton pads on lips for three minutes. Rinse and then apply Vitamin E, castor oil or coconut oil. Milk contains lactic acid which exfoliates dry skin. The fat is milk is a moisturizer and is a great chapped lips remedy.
2. Another lip hydrating option is to apply raw, unpasteurized honey to lips and top with Vitamin E, castor or coconut oil. Leave on overnight. Raw honey will help smooth and heal the peeling, chapped lips. Vitamin E will heal and moisturize the severely chapped lips. Coconut oil hydrates while it can also gently exfoliate the chapped skin. Both oils also help seal in the moisturizing honey.
3. To soften and smooth the dry lips combine ¼ teaspoon of honey, ¼ teaspoon of lemon juice, and ½ teaspoon of Vitamin E oil. Leave this on overnight. Use this remedy only if you do not have cracked or bleeding lips.
4. Apply a wet, warm, black tea bag on dry cracked lips. Black tea contains tannins that soften, moisturize and heal cracked lips or dry chapped lips.
5. To smooth dry chapped lips, mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda with a few drops of water to make a paste. In a gentle circular motion rub your lips. Follow with Vitamin E, castor oil or petroleum jelly.
6. Choose lip balms and lip sticks that contain SPF 15 and hydrating ingredients such as cocoa and shea butter, honey, beeswax, glycerin, castor, primrose, olive ,coconut or almond oil. I am a huge fan of top selling Emu Oil Lip Balm.
7. Burt’s Bees Lip Shimmer provides UV protection and is available in a nice assortment of colors that contain Vitamin E and titanium oxide.
Look and Feel Your Best On Any Budget: Copyright 2007,2011 Louisa Maccan Graves
Beauty Recipes and Tips That Really Work” Copyright 2007,2011 Louisa Maccan Graves
Hollywood Beauty Secrets Remedies To the Rescue: Copyright 2007,2011 Louisa Maccan Graves